Sunday, April 3, 2011

Learning is not child's play....

...we cannot learn without pain.   -Aristotle

Welcome me back! Yay!!!

I've been approved for a grant from AEP to attend classes at Wayne College, part of the University of Akron. I will be earning a Small Business Accounting Certificate.

Most of what they are teaching is review for me, it is the work I have been doing for thirty years. But since I never went to school to learn it, I am at a disadvantage in the job market. So now I will be able to add formal education to my resume, as well as the part I will be truly learning - QuickBooks software. This will all be very helpful.

Plus I like school. Now. Too bad I didn't like it when I was a teenager.

This issue of education and having initials behind your name has long been a sore spot for me. With what I know about accounting I can do the job of most CFOs, but because it's been all on-the-job training, I cannot convince employers to take a chance on me. They would rather hire the person with the diploma. Either that or they checked my references. (insert smile here)

But I am feeling more hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment