Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Keep the home fires burning

This is the kind of day when one is glad to be unemployed. I went outside to deliver a message to my neighbor and found a world of ice. I stopped to get my boots from my car and had to chip a layer of ice off of it to open the door. It's a good day to be inside my home.

There seem to be more jobs available than I expected. I have applied for four within the past two days. Feast or famine? Eight days with nothing and then seven applications in six days.

I have expanded my options. I'm not so concerned with staying within my chosen field. After being downsized out of it three times, I have to wonder if it was a good choice. The truth is that it was a good choice in its time, but we live in a different time now. President Obama spoke directly to me in the State of the Union address when he described a time that people could walk into a factory or an office and fill out an application with no education, just experience and on-the-job training, and have a reasonable expectation of being hired. You could even expect to keep your job until you retired, if you chose. Most people actually did choose to stay in one place.

He is right, those days are gone. Despite the fact that I have a knowledge level commensurate with full-charge bookkeeping and even some accountants, I don't have the initials after my name, and in this new age that puts me at a disadvantage.

But I don't dwell on this, I have only analyzed it in interest and preparation. I have let go of the idea that my next job will be at a desk on weekdays with holidays off. I might be one of those people who puts books and cards in stores. Or I might be an inventory scanner. I'm practicing those magic words, "Welcome to Wal-mart, y'all need a buggy today?"

1 comment:

  1. Your embrace of the infinite possible is a favorable attribute, Vivian. I really am enjoying your blog; I hope it's as therapeutic for you as it is enjoying to me!

    ReplyDelete