Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Knock three times....

"Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit." -R.E. Shay

Through all my job-hunting forays, I've always looked for the ad that says, Vivian, we're looking for you! It hasn't shown up yet but I'm an optimist.

So I keep honing my resume, tweaking it for each job application. My skills are great, too good for most of the jobs I apply for, which can be a problem. How do you say to a potential employer, "I have everything you need and more, and I am really NOT interested in being your boss. I just want to be in your office and help it be a great, smooth-running operation."

They don't buy it.

I dislike the idea of "dumbing-down" my resume, but it's what I do. I take the fact that I'm an advanced user of Microsoft Access that can design and maintain complex databases and put it on my resume as "database maintenance." I play down these kinds of skills as things I just do, and don't reveal my training and the years of employment that have led me to advanced usage.

I don't buy it.

But I do it.

2 comments:

  1. A good manager surrounds himself with the best team possible, regardless of whether they could be his boss or not. Only poor managers feel threatened by others possibly more qualified because they deserve to be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Bud. Well said. Good managers are hard to find.

    ReplyDelete